guix-devel

Re: Texlive and native-inputs

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Texlive and native-inputs
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 18:13:09 +0100

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 06:00:02PM +0100, Andreas Enge wrote:
     Currently, texlive has a certain number of native inputs:
        (native-inputs
         `(("perl" ,perl)
           ("pkg-config" ,pkg-config)
           ("python" ,python-2) ; incompatible with Python 3 (print syntax)
           ("tcsh" ,tcsh)))
     But I think these are not needed during build time, but to patch-shebang
     scripts that are installed into the bin directory. So should they not be
     normal inputs?

If they were "normal" inputs and you were cross compiling, then the packages
which
are made available, would be those for the target system, not the native one.
Hence
they could not run, and the build would break.

     This is part of commit c4c4cc05979f2a2d0212963c5fe1b940d63a0958 which was
     a mass-move from inputs to native-inputs. I wonder if these need to be
     verified one by one by hand? How does one know without going through every
     line of the build logs whether an interpreter is used during the build
     or in installed scripts?

You are probably right - to be sure they should be manually checked.  An
alternative would be to attempt cross building all the affected packages.  That
said, I cannot envisage a scenario where a non-native pkg-config would be
needed.  In the case of perl, python, etc I recall that previous discussions
concluded that if they are needed in installed scripts, then it should be up to
the
user to install them.

     Or what happens if both is the case?

In that case, the package would need to be declared as both an input and a
native-input.

     Did I misunderstand anything?

From your first paragraph, I think you did.

J'