guix-devel

Re: emacs package

From: Federico Beffa
Subject: Re: emacs package
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 19:13:26 +0200

>> In the mean time I've found out the existence of a simple test program
>> called canberra-gtk-play in the libcanberra package. With this I tested
>> that I can actually play a sound, but it gives the same message:
>>
>> $ canberra-gtk-play -i phone-incoming-call
>> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
>
> Here, on the stand-alone system, it simply fails with:
>
> $
> /gnu/store/nlm81g8hgsw7d01la14zjycjcgamn4qp-libcanberra-0.30/bin/canberra-gtk-play
>  -i phone-incoming-call
> Failed to play sound: File or data not found
>
> Do you know where those audio samples normally come from?  We seem to
> miss that package.

On Debian the sound file is located here:

/usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/phone-incoming-call.oga

and is provided by a package called "sound-theme-freedesktop":
https://packages.debian.org/unstable/main/sound-theme-freedesktop

By the way, I'm using PulseAudio, but the current libcanberra package
has no support for this option. Therefore, despite the fact that I'm
using an external audio interface, the sound produced by
canberra-gtk-play goes to the built-in speakers of my PC.

I see that in guix there is a package for pulseaudio. Any particular
reason for not enabling this sound framework option in libcanberra?

Regards,
Fede