guix-devel

Re: guix 0.7 installation

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: guix 0.7 installation
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 22:18:04 +0200

Federico Beffa <address@hidden> skribis:

> I then tried to install emacs anyway, but the gnu substitute was not
> responsive:
>
> $ guix package -i emacs

[...]

> substitute-binary: guix substitute-binary: warning: while fetching
> http://hydra.gnu.org/0bhfhlas7rm13mp7hgjbbasj22fvva69.narinfo: server
> is unresponsive

This message just means that hydra.gnu.org is not responding very
quickly, which unfortunately is often the case currently.

> So, I thought that maybe updating was a good idea:
>
> $ guix pull
> ;;; note: source file /usr/local/share/guile/site/2.0/srfi/srfi-37.scm
> ;;;       newer than compiled /usr/local/share/guile/site/2.0/srfi/srfi-37.go
> starting download of `guix-file.op6sCK' from
> `http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/snapshot/guix-master.tar.gz'...
> ERROR: In procedure put-bytevector: Wrong type argument in position 2
> (expecting bytevector): #f
> failed to download "guix-file.op6sCK" from
> "http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/snapshot/guix-master.tar.gz";
> guix pull: error: failed to download up-to-date source, exiting
>
> By the way, I'm using Debian 7.6 and the installed guile is 2.0.5+1-3.

This is an old Guile version, whose web client has problems that Guix
tries to work around.  However, from a quick look, ‘guix pull’ uses a
path for its download that does not attempt to work around the 2.0.5
issues (namely it uses the (guix build download) module, instead of
(guix web-client).)

For now, would it be an option for you to upgrade to a newer Guile?
That would be the best solution.

Thanks,
Ludo’.