guix-devel

Re: GNU Guix 0.7 released

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: GNU Guix 0.7 released
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 16:18:02 +0200

Hello,

Sorry for the delay.

Adam Pribyl <address@hidden> skribis:

> - Why "guix package -I" shows me for newly installed system nothing -
> no packages installed? It shows just additionally installed ones.

Without the -p option, ‘guix package’ just look at the user’s profile,
which is ~/.guix-profile.  Initially it’s empty.

On the complete system, there are, however, packages installed
system-wide under /run/current-system/profile.  Eventually one should be
able to run:

  guix package -p /run/current-system/profile -I

That doesn’t work in 0.7.

> - How should I add may own services, or add something like sshd? I've
> read the doc so far, I may add my own service after installing openssh
> or lsh but the chapter
> http://www.gnu.org/software/dmd/manual/html_node/Service-Examples.html#Service-Examples
> "needs a lot of work". What I am suprised there is not a service file
> already present in the package. Or am I looking just at the wrong
> place?

For a list of pre-defined services, please see:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Services.html

The lshd service is listed under “Network Services”.  An example of how
to use it is shown at
<http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Using-the-Configuration-System.html>.

> - How should one work with /gnu/store to find something fast while it
> is not sorted by package name but hash name. Would it be possible to
> do something like symlinks bash->ddlkjfalfjlflkjdf...-bash-4.3 in the
> store or somewhere, or is this a nonsence?

In general, you would find something in the store by using ‘guix build’
or ‘guix package’ rather than browsing /gnu/store manually.

HTH!

Ludo’.