guix-devel

Re: System installation from a USB stick

From: David Thompson
Subject: Re: System installation from a USB stick
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 07:57:56 -0400

Adam Pribyl <address@hidden> writes:

> I can not boot installed system, boot looks for /dev/sda1 which is not
> present. It smells to me like the same problem with devtmpfs previously in
> live USB... I found in grub the reference to /dev/sda1 (as LiveUSB now
> with udev in devtmpfs and kernel 3.15.6 asigns the HDD /dev/sda) but it
> looks like the kernel booting from HDD is not seeing it like this.

This could be an instance of the problem that bit me last night.  The
version of Guix that gets installed (0.6, as you mentioned in your
notes), uses an initrd that cannot see SATA hard disks.  So, as a
work-around, you must explicitly add the relevant kernel modules in your
operating-system definition like so:

  (use-modules (gnu) (srfi srfi-26))

  (define my-os
    (operating-system
      (initrd (cut base-initrd <> #:extra-modules '("libahci.ko" "ahci.ko")))
      ...))

Additionally, as Ludovic has already mentioned, I find that using device
labels is much better than hoping that the /dev nodes on the
installation image are the same as the /dev nodes on the installed
system.

--
David Thompson
Web Developer - Free Software Foundation - http://fsf.org