guix-devel

Re: System installation from a USB stick

From: Adam Pribyl
Subject: Re: System installation from a USB stick
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 20:16:15 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

Adam Pribyl <address@hidden> skribis:

Kernel in dmesg identifies the device like /dev/sdf, doing
mknod /dev/sdf b 8 80; mknod /dev/sdf1 b 8 81; mount /dev/sdf1 /mnt
solves the problem. So definitely the drive is at sdf. It looks to me
like there is some built in limit in udev for number of "scsi" devices
in this case or something.

Hmm, I have no idea.  We’re using a relatively old version of udev,
maybe that will be solved when upgrading.

as there is only 1GB of RAM and it seems the install fetches too much
packages into ramdisk. Why is it not using the target file system
already?

Hmm, it’s actually initially populating the local store, on the RAM
disk, right.  I agree that’s a problem we should address.

However, most stuff are already in the store, unless the configuration
being built uses many more packages, or use Xorg and related stuff.  Is
it what’s happening?

The config.scm is as sugessted (just hostname and device modified):

Hmm, OK.  I’m surprised that this requires downloading more than 1GiB of
stuff.

It looks around 700MB comes from the USB image itself, another 700MB is to be downloaded. I only have 478MB free ram disk. Together the /gnu has then 1.4GB roughtly.

I’m looking at a fix, but that’s not as simple as I would have liked.

Maybe using the flash drive itself will serve better?

Nothing special. I tried to bind mount the /gnu to a target drive, the
download went OK (cca 1.4G) but then led to different kind of failure.

I’d be interested in knowing about that one as well.  :-)

this involved
mount /dev/sdf1 /mnt/
cp -a /gnu /mnt/
mount -o bind /mnt/gnu /gnu
from now on, the target /mnt/gnu is filling up during guix system init.

it ends up with

initializing operating system under "/mnt"
copying '/gnu......glibc-2.19.locales'...
2035 operations
Bus error

Thats it, the installation is not complete, there is just /gnu on target drive.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

Adam Pribyl