guix-devel

Re: Troubles with install image

From: David Thompson
Subject: Re: Troubles with install image
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 20:48:42 -0400

> The installation image does include the development version, as you
> noticed.
>
> When you run ‘guix system init’ from the USB stick, that’s the
> development version that’s used, specifically commit 20b1d19.
>
> However, (@ (gnu packages package-management) guix) in commit 20b1d19
> referred to Guix 0.6.
>
> Thus, you end up installing Guix 0.6.
>
> Commit 42b9b8f solves that by upgrading the development snapshot (I only
> tested it on x86_64 though.)

Getting a lot closer.  I am now able to complete the system installation
without having to compile a single package.  However, when I boot I'm
thrown in a guile debugger.

  ext2fs_check_if_mount: Can't check if filesystem is mounted due to
  missing mtab file when determining whether /dev/sdb1 is mounted.
  fsck.ext4: No such device or address while trying to open /dev/sdb1
  Possibily non-existent or swap device?
  'fsck.ext4' exited with code 8 on /dev/sdb1

I'm not sure if this problem has to do with some of the oddities of this
particular machine.  It runs coreboot, and the grub menu that I get
initially isn't the grub.cfg that guix installs.  So, I drop to the grub
console and `set root=(ahci0,msdos1)` and `configfile
/boot/grub/grub.cfg` to get to the menu.

I also ran `(file-exists? "/dev/sdb1")` at the debugger prompt and the
return value was #t.

Any ideas?

--
David Thompson