guix-devel

Re: GCC language front-ends

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: GCC language front-ends
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 23:46:53 +0200

On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 11:34:33PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> That would be too big.  Plus, when you say “all”, do you really mean Ada
> and Java for instance?  These make things definitely bigger.

Okay.

> > Also, maybe we could drop one of the three gcc versions.
> The default package does C and C++.  We could imagine another one that
> would in addition to Objective-C and FORTRAN, yes.  That would save
> build time, at the expense of being somewhat confusing to the user IMO.

Sorry, here I meant the version numbers 4.7.3, 4.8.2 and 4.9.0. Maybe we could
drop 4.7.0?

> One of the GCC 4.8.2 is ‘gcc-final’ in base.scm.

So this is the one that is used for compiling all our packages? Could we
then not drop the gcc-4.8.2 from gcc.scm and let the user install gcc-final?
Or otherwise, give it a different NAME?

> > Is there a way of printing not the line 95 in which the base gcc package is
> > defined from which all others inherit, but the line where the actual package
> > is defined?
> Yes, good idea.
> I’ve just committed this patch:

Hm, I meant in all generality for all packages that are inherited. Would
this be easily possible?

Andreas