guix-devel

Re: Switching to ECMAscript

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Switching to ECMAscript
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 18:17:28 +0200

Andreas Enge <address@hidden> skribis:

> this is quite outrageous

[...]

> there are much more reasonable choices than Ecmascript, with its
> quirky object model, and whose functional features imply that maybe we would
> not completely get rid of the past. Personally, I think we should switch to
> Python.

Right.  To be honest, the other options I considered were Lua (Guile has
a front-end!), APL (GNU has an implementation!), and Python.

Of these, Python would definitely be a contender as far as creating a
synergistic modernizing dynamic in GNU and beyond goes.  However,
there’s the practical problem that there’s no GNU implementation at the
moment, and so we’d have to reinvent that wheel, which takes time.

ECMAscript sounds like a perfect intermediate choice, while awaiting a
Python front-end for Guile.  Maybe in a year or two we can start
rewriting from ECMAscript to Python?  How does that sound?

Thanks for your feedback,
Ludo’.