guix-devel

Re: Binary downloads

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Binary downloads
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 17:46:10 +0100

On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 05:43:29PM +0100, Andreas Enge wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 05:21:54PM +0100, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> > OK then. I'll build on a server instead. Is there a howto on creating your
> > own 'remote' package cache? And does Guix hashing ignore kernel
> > versions? The server has
>
> There is no need to install a separate server. If you wish to install a
> package on your laptop, "guix package -i package-name" will download the
> sources of all prerequisites and compile them for your (assuming that you
> installed guix and its daemon as explained in the manual).

Sorry, I was not clear. I do not want to build on my laptop (the noise
drives me nuts :). So I want to build on a remote server and install
on my laptop, or on compute nodes, or whatever. With Nix it is
possible. Does Guix allow caching of packages, so I can share. Of
course it does, question is how :). Do I revert to Nix?

Pj.