guix-devel

Re: [gnu.org #881181] Re: [gnu.org #881518] Re: Package synopses and blu

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: [gnu.org #881181] Re: [gnu.org #881518] Re: Package synopses and blurbs translation
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 12:33:22 +0100

On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 06:25:37AM -0500, Ineiev via RT wrote:

     No, I'm suggesting that it's possible to delegate the work to groups
     other than GNU web translators (especially when we have no active
     team for a language), and www.gnu.org can take advantage of it.

I agree - and the people best qualified to translate the blurbs for a package,
are the translators for that package itself.  Hence my previous suggestion, viz:
encourage all projects to put the blurbs in their .pot templates. That way
www.gnu.org,
guix and anyone else can take advantage of it.

Not all package maintainers will immediately do that of course,  hence my
second suggestion - have a secondary source of blurb translations (possibly on
the womb)
which can be used if the primary source is absent.  Hopefully, given time, the
secondary source will become unnecessary.

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3