guix-devel

Re: FAQ

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: FAQ
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 15:28:28 +0200

Nikita Karetnikov <address@hidden> skribis:

> +* Building from Git
> +
> +The following errors might appear if you are building from Git.  Also,
> +take a look at the
> [[https://gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Installation]["Installation";]]
>  section of the manual and the
> +[[http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/README]["Installing Guix
> from Guix"]] section in 'README'.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear.  What I meant is: instead of presenting it as a
trial-and-error approach, I would rather present it as a sequence of
instructions to build from Git.

Something like:

  First, make sure Autoconf (>= 2.69), Automake, pkg-config, etc. are
  installed.  If you get an error like this:

    ./configure: line 6755: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(GUILE, guile-2.0 >= 2.0.5)'

  then it probably means that pkg-config’s pkg.m4 file was not found by
  Automake.  Make sure pkg.m4 is available, and possibly add its
  directory to the ACLOCAL_PATH environment variable (info "(automake)
  Macro Search Path").

  Second, run ./bootstrap.  Among other things, this will run ‘git
  submodule update’.  If you get an error like this:

Also, when referring to a GNU manual, please show the info command (as I
did above) rather than giving a hyperlink.  This will ensure that users
read the right version of the manual.

For the link to README, just use [[./README][README]] (info "(org)
Hyperlinks").

It may look like I’m being picky, and indeed that’s what I am ;-), but I
think it’s important to agree on how to present information.

Thanks for your help!

Ludo’.