Re: How to get started in guile & programming generally

From: Joshua Branson
Subject: Re: How to get started in guile & programming generally
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 17:33:14 -0400

Amirouche Boubekki <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2018-08-26 20:16, Joshua Branson wrote:
>> Amirouche Boubekki <address@hidden> writes:

Thanks for taking the time to write me a informational response.  I
really appreciate it.

> Sorry, I don't know what is a GNU/Hurd translators.

A GNU/Hurd translator is a userspace process, that runs on the GNU/Hurd,
but implements usual kernel functionality.

https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/translator.html

So there is an ext2fs translator running on the Hurd.  It runs as a
userspace process.  There are really trivial translators that you could
create.  One is the hello translator.

https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/translator/hello.html

The basic example is here:

#+BEGIN_SRC sh
$ touch hello
$ cat hello
$ settrans -a /hurd/hello hello
$ cat hello
  hello
$ settrans -g ./hello
$ cat hello
  Hello World!
#+END_SRC

Basically, you are telling the kernel, that anytime someone wants to
look at the hello ~/hello, they need to call the /hurd/hello program
first.  Regardless of the "~/hello"'s content, users will see "Hello World!"

It gets really interesting when you start telling these processes to
transform the underlying data.  They currently have a translator that
translates an xml file into a directory tree.  Imagine searching an html
file with the "find" tool.  Wouldn't that be something different?

>>> You might not be aware that w3schools has a bad reputation of being
>>> "loosy". That said I find it
>>> convenient as quick and dirty reference. I recommend to check mozilla
>>> developer network aka. mdn
>>> when it comes to web stuff.
>>
>> What do you mean by "loosy?"
>
> Sorry, I just repeated what I read elsewhere. What I should have said is that
> w3cshools is not the
> only source of information regarding web. But say, for instance, its xpath
> tutorials are nice. Nowdays
> I use MDN more often than w3cschools.

I've heard the same thing.  w3schools is like a really dumbed down
version of MDN.  I guess I just need to learn how to learn better.

>>> What do you want to make?
>>
>> It would be cool to help work on an official GNU distro, using a kernel
>> that is NOT linux.  Linux is cool and good, but I'm not a fan of its
>> monolithic nature.
>>

> Monolitihc has its advantages whatever you think monolith means. See for
> instance,
> this convo and article https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17499137
>
> I can not stop you from looking into Hurd, but I can not help you. Maybe try
> hurd mailing list or guix-help.

That's a good idea.  I did actually post there as well.  I just had a
goal this week to ask some smart people for advice.  There are a lot of
smart people on this mailing list.  :)