Re: reading from input pipe is slow?

From: Thomas Danckaert
Subject: Re: reading from input pipe is slow?
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 13:32:04 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Mark,

indeed, setting buffering with (setvbuf ...) solved the issue. Thanks a lot!

For some reason that I don't know, possibly historical, the pipes
created by procedures in (ice-9 popen) are unbuffered by default.

I think you're right, but doesn't the manual suggest otherwise, when it says "Each direction has PIPE_BUF bytes of buffering" (https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Pipes.html)? Or do I misinterpret that?

Also, let me mention that the statistical profiler from the (statprof) module has been very useful to isolate the problem. Initially I assumed the slowness was due to the external process. Only after running statprof did I realize that the problem was in my code.

Thomas