Re: Guile foreign object interface

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guile foreign object interface
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2017 18:26:09 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> skribis:

>> From: address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès)
>> Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2017 13:09:40 +0100

>> > Disagreement is not the same as unfriendliness.
>>
>> I agree.  However I found the tone of your messages patronizing and
>> aggressive, assuming bad faith and incompetence on the side of the Guile
>> developers (“planning for wreckage”, “pretty pointless”, etc. etc.)
>
> FYI, I've communicated (and occasionally disagreed) with David for
> many years, and I can assure you that you see something that simply
> isn't there.  He sometimes uses such "colorful" descriptions to make a
> point more clear, that's all.  People should be allowed to use their
> personal style when writing, without being reprimanded, IMO.

I’m all for personal style, but I’m against passive-aggressive or downright
aggressive style.

The problem is not whether the person who writes is well-meaning or not;
the problem is how others perceive it.  If I, as an old-timer and
maintainer, feel attacked when reading these messages, I can only think
that newcomers may feel uncomfortable joining the conversation, at best.

We’d be doing a disservice to our group by sending the message that it’s
OK to be harsh to others.

Ludo’.