Re: How to make GNU Guile more successful

From: sirgazil
Subject: Re: How to make GNU Guile more successful
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 13:09:07 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Local Time: 18 de febrero de 2017 11:55 AM
UTC Time: 18 de febrero de 2017 16:55
From: address@hidden
To: sirgazil <address@hidden>
Rodger Fox <address@hidden>, address@hidden <address@hidden>

Heya,

> There is Guile-Cairo if you just want a basic canvas.
> http://www.nongnu.org/guile-cairo/
> See also: https://www.cairographics.org/

Which you can use from Guile-Clutter [1], a must. I maintain a personal toolbox,
called grip, which as some guile-clutter examples [2], some using cairo (the
spline, the clock ...)

https://www.gnu.org/software/guile-gnome/clutter/ [1]
http://www.nongnu.org/grip/examples.html [2]

> The problem is their level is not as high as I'd like. The course I'm
> following is
> for beginner programmers, so they use higher level libraries for drawing and
> animating. For example, you can write a checker pattern function like this:

> (define (checker-pattern color-a color-b)
> (above (beside (square 20 "solid" color-a) (square 20 "solid" color-b))
> (beside (square 20 "solid" color-b) (square 20 "solid" color-a))))

> The functions "above", "beside", and "square" come with a Racket's image
> library.
> Guile cairo's interface is lower level, it feels like reading the SVG
> specification, but without the geometric shapes.

I'm working on Guile-CV, a computer vision functional programming library for
Guile,
which provides a high level API. I uploaded a tarball here (for GNU evaluators),
here:

http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/grip/guile-cv/guile-cv-0.1.0.tar.gz
http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/grip/guile-cv/guile-cv-0.1.0.tar.gz.sig

[ GPG Key: A3057AD7
[ gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys A3057AD7

[ I will upload a new version within the next few days, stay tuned...

Chers,
David

Thanks, David, I'll take a look at those :)