[ann] fibers 0.5.0 released

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: [ann] fibers 0.5.0 released
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 04:54:38 +0100

Hi,

I'm pleased to announce the release of Fibers 0.5.0.

Fibers is a lightweight concurrency facility for Guile that supports
non-blocking input and output, millions of concurrent threads, and
Concurrent ML-inspired communication primitives.  For more information,
see the web version of the manual at:

  https://github.com/wingo/fibers/wiki/Manual

The manual is also available in PDF and Info formats in the tarball.

The 0.5.0 tarball can be found here:

  https://wingolog.org/pub/fibers/fibers-0.5.0.tar.gz

Its SHA256 sum is:

  18b31bcdf1564fad1a74599c6c1060cfde1d65f25179414e3a670231e4f22bb3
fibers-0.5.0.tar.gz

This release enables preemption by default and also adds support for
parallelism.  Pass "#:parallel? #t" to your "spawn-fiber" invocation to
parallelize fiber creation.  Fibers also includes a work-stealing phase
to the scheduler.  See "Parallelism" in the manual, for more.  On a
12-core machine without hyperthreads I see speedups of around 9x or 10x,
so pretty good though there are always more improvements to make.

This release also makes it so that channel sends and receives can work
from outside fibers, allowing easy communication between the part of
your program that runs fibers and the part that doesn't.

The next release will improve error handling.

Happy hacking,

Andy