Re: r7rs libraries (or, Fwd: fmt for Guile)

From: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer
Subject: Re: r7rs libraries (or, Fwd: fmt for Guile)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 23:30:54 +0100

Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> writes:

> Not sure if this belongs on guile-user or guile-devel, but...
> See below for a conversation Alex Shinn gave me permission to forward.
> I asked Alex about getting Guile added to the set of
> out-of-the-box-supported Scheme implementations for fmt; they replied
> that they moved from fmt to a cleaned-up version called Show, but this
> and all their libraries were going to R7RS only.  (We already have
> irregex packaged for Guile in Guix; I imagine this means would affect
> that library going forward as well.)
> I'm not really sure what this means for us, since I think we don't
> really have full R7RS support.  I wonder what this means for us moving
> into the future, as more libraries move to support R7RS(-small, maybe
> -large)?  Will we include a conversion layer, or maybe another language
> layer on the VM?  Will we move to more support of R7RS-small out of the
> box?  Will we not make this a priority altogether?  Will it depend on
> people stepping forward, or is there a strong maintainer position either
> way?

I have some improvements towards R7RS support after which, if I remember
correctly (it's been a while since I worked on it), most R7RS-small
libraries work just fine in Guile.

Last I tried to draw attention to my patches, everybody seemed too busy,
but people should feel free to pressure me any time to cooperate in case
there's more I can do.

I think Mark desired a rebase on master, where support for datum labels
could be implemented without dirty hacks or heavy performance cost,
unlike on stable-2.0.  Such a rebase seemed beyond my skills with
Guile's code-base last I checked...