Re: anyone define port types?

From: William ML Leslie
Subject: Re: anyone define port types?
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 21:49:32 +1000

On 23 June 2016 at 20:43, Andy Wingo <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu 23 Jun 2016 11:24, Chris Vine <address@hidden> writes:
>> Secondly, as I understand it in the end you want pre-emptive "green"
>> threads for guile, whereas my code equates to co-operative
>> multi-tasking, whilst also working with native threads.  I must come
>> clean and say that I don't like "green" threads.
>
> I actually don't want *pre-emptive* threads -- I'd rather have threads
> suspend at I/O points instead.  But yeah, my preferred abstraction is
> threads; and those user-space threads could be bound to a core, or we
> could schedule them on multiple cores.  But there's room for many things
> :)

It would be nice to be able to avoid pre-emption at I/O points also,
ensuring that turns on the event loop run atomically to completion,
and any IO wait happens on the next turn.

I guess I can discover any pre-emption at I/O points easily with a
dynamic-wind handler or custom loop and go and rewrite them.

--
William Leslie

Notice:
Likely much of this email is, by the nature of copyright, covered
under copyright law.  You absolutely MAY reproduce any part of it in
accordance with the copyright law of the nation you are reading this
in.  Any attempt to DENY YOU THOSE RIGHTS would be illegal without
prior contractual agreement.