How to get the preferred environment variable path separator?

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: How to get the preferred environment variable path separator?
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 17:42:51 -0700

Hi,

Info node "(guile) File System" describes a procedure for getting the
preferred file name separator of the operating system:

 -- Scheme Variable: file-name-separator-string
     The preferred file name separator.

     Note that on MinGW builds for Windows, both ‘/’ and ‘\’ are valid
     separators.  Thus, programs should not assume that
     ‘file-name-separator-string’ is the _only_ file name
     separator—e.g., when extracting the components of a file name.

Is there an equivalent procedure for getting the preferred environment
variable path separator, too?  I would expect such a procedure to return
the ":" string (or does it return a character?) on most GNU/Linux
distributions, since that is the separator e.g. for the PATH environment
variable.

While we're on the topic, Guile's manual has a lot of very nice,
detailed information about each module.  However, it does not seem to
tell me what the name of the modules are.  Where can I find out what the
name of any module described in the manual - e.g. the module which is
described in the Info node "(guile) POSIX"?

--
Chris