[RFC] Guile project generator

From: David Thompson
Subject: [RFC] Guile project generator
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 16:20:57 -0400

Hello Guilers,

Following a conversation on #guile about making it easier to generate
boilerplate for new Guile projects and reduce the need to snarf and/or
monkey type build system configs from other projects, I would like to
throw out an idea for a new guild subcommand:

    guild init foo --license=gpl3+ --author="Lemme Tweakit <address@hidden>"

This could create the following skeleton files:

    foo/COPYING
    foo/README
    foo/configure.ac
    foo/Makefile.am
    foo/pre-inst-env.in
    foo/foo.scm
    foo/foo/config.scm.in
    foo/tests/foo.scm
    foo/doc/foo.texi

These files cover the basic necessities for a good source tree:
License and copyright information, introductory text, build system,
manual, base module, configuration module, test suite, and
pre-installation environment.  The exact set of files and their
default contents should be adjusted to fit community best practices.
I modeled this possible skeleton directory on Guix, because Guix is
great. :)

What do you all think?  More importantly, would anyone like to
implement this?

Happy hacking,

--
David Thompson