Re: docstrings in the reference manual

From: jamil egdemir
Subject: Re: docstrings in the reference manual
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 05:54:28 -0500

Panicz,

On 12/16/14, Panicz Maciej Godek <address@hidden> wrote:
> It is described here:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Procedure-Properties.html
> (the "procedure-documentation" entry):
>
>      Return the documentation string associated with `proc'.  By
>      convention, if a procedure contains more than one expression and
>      the first expression is a string constant, that string is assumed
>      to contain documentation for that procedure.

Good eyes!

> I agree though that it can be difficult to find, and it would be a bit
> better if it used the word "docstring" (like "that string is assumed to
> contain documentation for that procedure (so-called 'docstring')"), to make
> it easier to find, and that there should be a "docstring" index entry as
> well.

I agree.  This info on docstrings is tucked away pretty well.  I
noticed here in the ref man:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Reporting-Bugs.html#Reporting-Bugs

that documentation that is unclear is considered a bug (last bullet in
the first list).  If you think it makes sense then I'll submit a bug
on the documentation with this info and your suggestion.

-j

Jamil Egdemir
address@hidden
http://www.power-quant.com