Re: Entering the interactive debugger

From: Thompson, David
Subject: Re: Entering the interactive debugger
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 15:57:03 -0400

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 3:20 PM, Thompson, David
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 3:03 PM, Carlos Pita <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi all, although I have some experience with lisps, I'm still new to
>> guile and I'm having some trouble figuring out how to invoke the
>> interactive debugger at some arbitrary point in my code. Something like:
>>
>>         ; code here
>>         (debug)
>>         ; more code here
>>
>> The closer solution I could find in the manual is:
>>
>>         add-trap-at-source-location! file user-line
>>
>> Any suggestion?
>
> I don't know of any straightforward solution, but I would also like
> such a feature.  I don't think it would be too difficult to write a
> 'debug' procedure using the 'debug-trap-handler' procedure in (system
> repl error-handling) as inspiration.  Basically, you'd need to capture
> the current stack and spawn a new REPL in debug mode that uses that
> stack.

The stack isn't properly narrowed because I couldn't figure out how to
make narrow-stack->vector do what I wanted, but here's a 'debug'
procedure that worked for me.

(use-modules (system repl repl)
             (system repl debug))

(define (debug)
  (let ((stack (narrow-stack->vector (make-stack #t))))
    (start-repl #:debug (make-debug stack 0 "Entered debugger" #f))))

- Dave