Re: GSoC: Guile-Emacs + Emacsy

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: GSoC: Guile-Emacs + Emacsy
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 22:45:39 +0200

Hello!

(Stripping emacs-devel here.)

Shane Celis <address@hidden> skribis:

> I've written up a blog post[1] on some of the features and ideas that
> I've been turning over in my head for how best to go about providing
> online help such that an Emacsy app can be self-documenting, job
> control, and a note about the key-lookup-command-execute-loop.  I
> could certainly use input from Guilers and Emacsers about how best to
> achieve these things.

[...]

> [1]:
> http://shanecelis.github.io/emacsy/2013/06/05/google-summer-of-code-2013-emacsy/

This looks promising.

Regarding documentation, using Guile’s built-in web server seems like
the least intrusive mechanism, from an application developer’s
viewpoint, and it should work well in practice (using Guile’s web
server, SXML, and Texinfo modules.)

I was thinking that perhaps Emacsy could also offer a GTK+ mode, where
it would display documentation in a GTK+ window instead (perhaps using
Guile-GNOME).  A few years ago Andy had written a Texinfo browser for
Guile-GNOME, which could give some ideas [0].

WDYT?

Job control would seem like a very nice feature.  I’m not sure what the
API could you like (esp. assuming it uses cooperative threads), but it’s
a good idea to dig further in that direction.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

[0] http://wingolog.org/archives/2004/07/25/literate-programming-with-guile-lib