Fwd: Re: Introducing Upmf

From: Aljosha Papsch
Subject: Fwd: Re: Introducing Upmf
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 11:51:51 +0100

I forgot to choose "reply all".

- -------- Original-Nachricht --------
Von: Aljosha Papsch <address@hidden>
Gesendet: Wed Feb 27 09:45:28 MEZ 2013
An: address@hidden
Betreff: Re: Introducing Upmf

address@hidden schrieb:

>Hello!
>
>Aljosha Papsch <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> I would like to introduce a project I've been working on recently and
>which makes use of GUILE.
>>
>> The project is a source based package manager and is written mostly
>in Scheme. It features the standard paxkage manager facilities,
>installing, removing and searching for packages. Upmf also makes use of
>GNU Stow for the final installation (though not yet integrated).
>
>Are you aware of GNU Guix <http://gnu.org/s/guix> and GNU SourceInstall
><http://gnu.org/s/sourceinstall/>?
>
>How would you position Upmf compared to those?
>
>Perhaps we should join efforts.
>
>Ludo’.

Hi!

Thanks for taking your time! Before I compare Upmf with those two you suggested
let me say that I merely played around a little and before 1 month would be
gone I reached the 0.5 release, so I thought I'd introduce it here.

To the two other projects:
Before hitting 0.2, I took a look at https://gnu.org/manual/manual to find
similar projects and in this regard I found Source Installer. However, this
projects seems to target the desktop user with a GUI, whereas Upmf wants to be
a simple command line tool.  Additionally, Source Installer doesn't seem too
active to me.

As for Guix: I seem to have overlooked it when I first searched the list.
Looking at it now, Guix seems to be more grown. For example Upmf' package
format seems to be more simple-stricken. Also, Upmf code isn't based on
anything and it was just "cluttered away" in the last weeks.

To conclude I would say, Guix and Upmf are very similar, though your project
seems to be more advanced, despite the version number. However, I still have to
try out Guix. I don't know whether I can do this today or tomorrow, since in
these weeks I'm mostly offline on my desktop machine.

Best regards!