Re: guile-xcb

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: guile-xcb
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 14:12:16 +0100

Hi Mark,

Mark Witmer <address@hidden> skribis:

> guile-xcb is a language implemented in the Guile VM that parses the XML
> files used by the xcb project to specify the X protocol and compiles
> them into Guile modules containing all the methods and data needed to
> send requests to the X server and receive replies/events back. If new X
> extensions are added to the xcb library, guile-xcb can compile and add
> them with no additional work.

Woow, looks fun!  Do you have example applications around that we could
play with?

> It uses a tiny bit of C code right now, to ensure that
> addition/bit-shifting/etc. operate exactly like they normally would in
> plain C. I'm open to suggestions on how to do this properly in Scheme;

Wouldn’t SRFI-60 or Guile’s own operations (info "(guile) Bitwise
Operations") do the job?

I see you also have wrappers for C integer subtraction and addition, but
the behavior of these upon overflow/underflow is undefined in the C
standard (see ‘-fwrapv’ in GCC.)

Thanks,
Ludo’.