Re: [ANN] the Guile 100 Programs Project

From: Ian Price
Subject: Re: [ANN] the Guile 100 Programs Project
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 16:40:13 +0000

Mike Gran <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello.  I'm pleased to announce the upcoming Guile 100 Programs
> Project.
>
> The Guile 100 Programs Project is an opportunity to show off your
> Guile skills in exchange for a small honorarium.
>
> Each week, on Monday, I'll announce a coding project and ask for
> volunteers.  On Wednesday, a volunteer will be chosen at random from
> all entrants.  The volunteer will have two weeks to complete the task.
> If judged to have completed the task correctly, he or she will receive
> a honorarium of 100 USD.
>
> The task will either be a Scheme script, a bug fix on an existing
> project, or a C code with Guile bindings.

Cool idea. The Guile community is kinda small, and so it'd be nice to
see some of our quieter members incentivised to hack more openly.

> The first two tasks to be announced will likely be
>
> Mar 11, 2013 - Implement a version of the commands `cat' and
> `echo' in Scheme.
>
> Mar 18, 2013 - Implement a reduced functionality version of the
> command `ls' in Scheme.

Heh, reimplementing coreutils in Scheme has been a plan of mine for a
while, as part of justifying my Iteratees library, but that has taken a
sideline to newer and shinier projects.

--
Ian Price -- shift-reset.com

"Programming is like pinball. The reward for doing it well is
the opportunity to do it again" - from "The Wizardy Compiled"