Re: Readline support in Cygwin

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Readline support in Cygwin
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 22:57:34 +0100

Hi!

Akop Pogosian <address@hidden> skribis:

> # ERROR: In procedure load-extension:
> # ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link: file: "libguilereadline-v-18",
> message: "The specified module could not be found."

[...]

> # $ ls software/packages/guile-2.0.7/lib/
> # guile           libguile-2.0.la          libguilereadline-v-18.la
> # libguile-2.0.a  libguilereadline-v-18.a  pkgconfig

As you can see, you only have a static version of libguilereadline,
which is why ‘dynamic-link’ fails.

>   CCLD     libguilereadline-v-18.la
>
> *** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive
> ../libguile/libguile-2.0.la.
> *** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in when
> *** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
> *** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.
>
> *** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -lreadline.
> *** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in when
> *** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
> *** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
> *** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
> *** with libreadline but no candidates were found. (...for file magic test)

You would need to look for other such warnings previously in the build
process that would explain while no shared version of libguile was
produced either.

One way to investigate is first to check the output of:

  grep -A1 shared /path/to/guile/config.log

Another is to check whether all of Guile’s dependencies (libunistring,
libiconv, libffi, libgc, etc.) have a shared version.  If one is
lacking, libtool won’t create libguile-2.0.dll.

HTH,
Ludo’;.