Re: guile 2.0.7 installation problems: configure issues libltdl error

From: msematman
Subject: Re: guile 2.0.7 installation problems: configure issues libltdl error
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 17:30:02 +0100

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 04:54 PM, address@hidden wrote:

> ---- address@hidden wrote:

> > > Most likely, this is because you don't have /usr/include/ltdl.h, which
> > > is needed to compile programs against libltdl.
> > >
> > > Modern distributions typically separate libraries into at least two
> > > packages: the main package, and a "development package" which includes
> > > header files, etc, needed during compilation.  For example, on
> > > Debian-derived systems, the main package is called "libltdl7", and the
> > > development package is called "libltdl-dev".
> > >
> > > To compile Guile, you will need the development packages for all of the
> > > libraries needed for Guile.
> > >
> > > If you cannot persuade the administrator of your system to install the
> > > needed packages, then there are a number of ways to proceed.  The most
> > > straightforward is to compile+install the needed libraries from source
> > > code into your home directory, and then build Guile against those
> > > locally-installed libraries.  There are a few gotchas, but it is doable.
> > >
> > >     Regards,
> > >       Mark
> >

> > Thanks Ludo', Mark for the quick responses.
> >
> > /usr/include on the machine does not contain ltdl.h, but
> > /usr/share/libtool/libltdl/ does.
> >
> > I tried the following combo:
> >  CC=gcc CFLAGS="-I/usr/share/libtool/libltdl/" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/lib64/"
> >  ./configure --prefix=$HOME/local
> >
> > Still the same result, the exact same error.
>
> Does it work better if you leave of the /'s from -I and -L ?
>
> -Dale

All right, I got the configure to finish without complaining. The
libltdl problem went away when I softlinked the libltdl.so.3.1.4 as
$HOME/local/lib64/libltdl.so . I didn't know that version number after
'so' matters for using
the '-l' flag.

No such luck with gc and unistring libraries which i had to download and
install separately.

Thanks for all the pointers!

Todor
--