Re: guile 2.0.7 installation problems: configure issues libltdl error

From: msematman
Subject: Re: guile 2.0.7 installation problems: configure issues libltdl error
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 13:17:47 +0100

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 08:24 PM, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> address@hidden writes:
> > Last line of configure output:
> > ********************************
> > checking for libltdl... no
> >
> > and an error is issued complaining about the absence of libltdl.
> >
> > However, libltdl exists on the system:
> > ****************************
> > ls -l /usr/lib64/*ltdl*
> >
> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    16 Nov 21  2011 /usr/lib64/libltdl.so.3 ->
> > libltdl.so.3.1.4
> > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 29952 Dec 16  2009 /usr/lib64/libltdl.so.3.1.4
>
> Most likely, this is because you don't have /usr/include/ltdl.h, which
> is needed to compile programs against libltdl.
>
> Modern distributions typically separate libraries into at least two
> packages: the main package, and a "development package" which includes
> header files, etc, needed during compilation.  For example, on
> Debian-derived systems, the main package is called "libltdl7", and the
> development package is called "libltdl-dev".
>
> To compile Guile, you will need the development packages for all of the
> libraries needed for Guile.
>
> If you cannot persuade the administrator of your system to install the
> needed packages, then there are a number of ways to proceed.  The most
> straightforward is to compile+install the needed libraries from source
> code into your home directory, and then build Guile against those
> locally-installed libraries.  There are a few gotchas, but it is doable.
>
>     Regards,
>       Mark

Thanks Ludo', Mark for the quick responses.

/usr/include on the machine does not contain ltdl.h, but
/usr/share/libtool/libltdl/ does.

I tried the following combo:
 CC=gcc CFLAGS="-I/usr/share/libtool/libltdl/" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/lib64/"
 ./configure --prefix=$HOME/local

Still the same result, the exact same error.

A tiny excerpt from the config.log (if somebody wants more of it, let me
know):
configure:40108: checking for libltdl
configure:40130: gcc -o conftest -I/usr/share/libtool/libltdl/
-L/usr/lib64/ conftest.c  -lltdl >&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lltdl
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:40130: $? = 1