Re: Neat hacks for a birthday

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Neat hacks for a birthday
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 08:01:10 +0000

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 09:54:23PM +0100, Ludovic Court?s wrote:
     Hello Guilers!

     Next week, on February 16th, is the first anniversary of Guile 2.0!

     Like all great events, it ought to be celebrated.

     So, here???s a suggestion: let???s write neat hacks that integrate Guile
     with some other piece of software, preferably GNU packages.  Examples
     include extending GCC or GDB extension in Guile, work on Mike???s
     Zile-on-Guile, enhanced Guile support in GNU Make, and Hurd file systems
     written in Guile.

     Of course, like all quick hacks, these will essentially be proofs of
     concept, but hey, perhaps some will eventually become actual software
     packages?

     If you???re up to the challenge, you???re welcome to announce your intent
     here.  On Feb. 16th, we???ll collect the list of neat hacks and let the
     world know!

One small GNU package to hack is Gnubik.  This is the GNU answer to the Rubik
Cube,
and the web page is at http://www.gnu.org/software/gnubik

Thanks primarily to Dale Mellor, it already has a Guile interface.  However, it
works by wrapping the implementation, which is in C.   I have some ideas to
turn it
around,  such that the low level stuff is implemented in Guile, with the display
stuff remaining in C, and just serving as a view into the cube.

If this was done, then it would make the extent of things that could be done on
the
Guile side a lot more extensive.  That way mathematicians who are C illiterate
could
produce some wierd and wonderful things like 4+ dimensional hypercubes.

If anyone wants to help do this, let me know and I'll give a hand wherever it's
required.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3