Re: Re: mu-guile: e-mail searching and stats

From: Dirk-Jan C . Binnema
Subject: Re: Re: mu-guile: e-mail searching and stats
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 16:57:58 +0200

Hi,

On 2012-02-03T00:31:06 EET, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

 > Hello,
 >
 > Dirk-Jan C. Binnema <address@hidden> skribis:
 >
 > > I've just released version 0.9.8 of mu[1], my e-mail search engine /
 > > indexer
 > > (and now also an experimental e-mail client[2] for emacs).
 > >
 > > For Guile-users, however, the most interesting part are guile-bindings[3]
 > > that
 > > I have added. With those bindings, you can analyze your e-mail corpus, and
 > > generate all kinds of interesting statistics. While I'm no Guile/Scheme
 > > expert
 > > by any means, I'm quite happy with the result, and the power it adds to my
 > > program to add being able to script in Guile; note, only Guile 2.0 is
 > > supported.
 >
 > This all looks like an interesting piece of work!

Thanks!

 > Incidentally, GNU Mailutils supports many common email-related
 > operations and comes with Guile bindings [0], but lacks the database
 > part that mu provides.  I wonder whether/how the two could be plugged
 > together.

Yeah, I took a look at GNU Mailutils a while back (mainly to see how express
certain things in the bindings). Confusingly, in Debian/Ubuntu, mu has a
package called "maildir-utils" (I guess "mu" is too short..), so there are two
packages "mailutils" and "maildir-utils"...

I do not really see an easy way to combine GNU Mailutils and mu; but it would
be interesting to hear what cool things people have written using the former,
and see if I could support the same with mu's bindings.

Best wishes,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema                  Helsinki, Finland
e:address@hidden           w:www.djcbsoftware.nl