Re: 1945 plane shooter scriptable in guile

From: Nala Ginrut
Subject: Re: 1945 plane shooter scriptable in guile
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 10:06:31 +0800

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 5:29 AM, erana Owl <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,
/
I made a '1945 - the battle of midway' clone back in the day. You can script enemies, moving walls, spaceships etc. in guile.
The project is hosted here: http://forty-two.sf.net/

It's a bit dated but you can have fun with it writing plane or spaceship AIs. Read the README and INSTALL to know how to proceed.

Enjoy,
Johan

hi there!
I've checked out your project, it's funny!
Though some errors I've encountered during compiling time, some header files was missing, it's easy to fix.
Besides, I've noticed that you used Guile-1.6 for AI script, why not use brand new Guile-2.x? It's easy too. I did this "upgrade" myself and it works.
I think there're some deprecated Guile APIs should be changed:
SCM_MAKINUM ==> scm_from_int
SCM_INUMP ==> scm_is_integer
SCM_INUM ==> scm_to_int
SCM_VECTORP ==> scm_is_vector

The game is great. But there's frame skip/unsteady problem in the beginning. I didn't find out the reason. Maybe it's the problem of Guile-2.x, because the AI script will be compiled when it's loaded, so there'll be some delay in the beginning of the game. Guile-1.6 is pure interpreted, so I think it'll be OK.
I just guess. If it's the final reason, I suggest you pre-compile your AI scripts.