Re: salutations and web scraping

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: salutations and web scraping
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 13:18:49 +0100

I have some updates about this issue, should anyone be interested.

Il giorno 25 gennaio 2012 18:23, Catonano <address@hidden> ha scritto:

Il giorno 25 gennaio 2012 10:07, Andy Wingo <address@hidden> ha scritto:
On Wed 25 Jan 2012 04:56, Daniel Hartwig <address@hidden> writes:

> (http-get uri #:version '(1 . 0) ...)

Good point!

yes, good point. I tried, it works. Thanks.  This could have been a show stopper to me.

It seems the show stopped anyway.

If you try

(define uri (string->uri "http://www.ubuntu.com"))
(http-get uri #:version '(1 . 0))

you'll get a correct result. But if you try with "http://friendfeed.com" youll'get

 Unable to connect to database server

and that's what happens with my radio station site too. Interestingly, I tried with

curl -http1.0 http://friendfeed.com and got a different result.

Also, the version indicated in the response from friendfeed is 1.1 while itś 1.0 in the response from www.ubuntu.com

So it seems to me that this workaround of indicating a http 1.0 request introduces too much unpredictability from the servers; I'm probably running in a not so common case so some shoddiness in servers configurations is emerging

As for curl, I'm not even sure it is fulfilling my whish to use a http 1.0 request, there was such a bug some time ago. I don't wanna know. I didn't try with wget because I couldn't find the right switch. Again, I'm not sure I wanna know

So probably this pet project will have to wait some more. At least until the common http 1.1 cases will be covered

What do you think ?

Thanks you all, people, anyway
Bye
Catonano