Guile support in GNU make

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Guile support in GNU make
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 14:55:05 -0500

Hi all.  I'm about to commit initial support for Guile to GNU make.  I'm
interested in any comments you may have on the implementation (there is
still time to make changes before the next release of GNU make).

I'm committed to leaving Guile as an optional component for now.  As a
result I'm not rewriting existing features of GNU make in terms of
Guile, or embedding it any more deeply than an extensions language.  I
understand that some feel this is a sub-optimal solution and would like
to see Guile become a requirement, or even GNU make rewritten as a
loadable module for Guile, but I've decided that's not the way I'm going
to go at this time.

Attached please find three things:
     1. The documentation I've added to the GNU make manual regarding
        Guile
     2. The default Guile scripting that is embedded in GNU make
     3. The C code interface, for those who are curious

For #3 not ALL the code is provided: I left out the little bit that
wraps main() for example, and the part that wraps the $(guile ...)
function.  But the critical parts are there.  The rest should be
available in the GNU make repository sometime this weekend.

My Scheme-fu is fairly weak and my Guile-fu is even weaker.  Any
suggestions about improvements to any of the above items from more
advanced users will be welcome--keeping in mind my comments of paragraph
#2 above, please, thanks!