Re: [Help-zile] Guile on Zile, module questions

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: Re: [Help-zile] Guile on Zile, module questions
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 10:04:46 +0100

On 30 November 2011 23:09, Mike Gran <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello Guilers!
>
> Over the USA holiday I started looking at the last C version of
> Zile, which has its own toy Lisp interpreter.  (Zile also
> comes in a new Lua version!)  I looks like it would be simple to
> strip out that Zile Lisp and replace it with Guile Scheme.
> But I don't think anyone has tried it.
>
> This notion is not new: Ludo and Reuben chatted about it once.
> But Zile wants to be tiny, portable and doesn't need to be
> extensible.  Guile is not tiny, and for the moment, not very
> portable.

Zile in its traditional shipped form is indeed meant to be tiny and
portable, but since it's been (ab)used for various experimental
purposes (for example, the Lua version, which is currently still
experimental), I'd be very happy to have a Guile integration branch
too. I've found Zile a good platform for experimentation precisely
because it's small and simple, but nonetheless a full-fledged editor.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org