Re: error building from "master" checkout

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: error building from "master" checkout
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 14:00:18 +0200

Marco Maggi <address@hidden> writes:

> With        checkout        from       master        (commit
> 4db853d747ac115f799c93e2de93f5159ad84109) I get this error:
>
> [...]
>   SNARF  posix.doc
>   SNARF  net_db.doc
>   SNARF  socket.doc
>   SNARF  regex-posix.doc
>   GEN    guile-procedures.texi
> Throw without catch before boot:
> Throw to key stack-overflow with args (#f "Stack overflow" #f #f)Aborting.
> /bin/sh: line 1: 14231 Broken pipe             cat alist.doc arbiters.doc
> array-handle.doc array-map.doc arrays.doc async.doc backtrace.doc boolean.doc
> bitvectors.doc bytevectors.doc chars.doc control.doc continuations.doc
> debug.doc deprecated.doc deprecation.doc dynl.doc dynwind.doc eq.doc
> error.doc eval.doc evalext.doc expand.doc extensions.doc feature.doc
> fluids.doc foreign.doc fports.doc gc-malloc.doc gc.doc gettext.doc
> generalized-arrays.doc generalized-vectors.doc goops.doc gsubr.doc
> guardians.doc hash.doc hashtab.doc hooks.doc i18n.doc init.doc ioext.doc
> keywords.doc list.doc load.doc macros.doc mallocs.doc memoize.doc modules.doc
> numbers.doc objprop.doc options.doc pairs.doc ports.doc print.doc
> procprop.doc procs.doc promises.doc r6rs-ports.doc random.doc rdelim.doc
> read.doc root.doc rw.doc scmsigs.doc script.doc simpos.doc smob.doc sort.doc
> srcprop.doc srfi-1.doc srfi-4.doc srfi-13.doc srfi-14.doc srfi-60.doc
> stackchk.doc stacks.doc stime.doc strings.doc strorder.doc strports.doc
> struct.doc symbols.doc threads.doc throw.doc trees.doc uniform.doc values.doc
> variable.doc vectors.doc version.doc vports.doc weaks.doc dynl.doc
> filesys.doc posix.doc net_db.doc socket.doc regex-posix.doc
>      14232 Aborted                 | GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0
> ../meta/uninstalled-env guile-tools snarf-check-and-output-texi >
> guile-procedures.texi
> make[3]: *** [guile-procedures.texi] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/home/marco/src/devel/scheme/checkouts/guile/libguile'
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/marco/src/devel/scheme/checkouts/guile/libguile'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/marco/src/devel/scheme/checkouts/guile'

Was this a clean build?  If you get strange build failures, it's often a
good idea to re-run the build after a "git clean -dxf" (note that this
will remove all files you may have put in you checkout, even if they are
not controlled by git).  Should the problem persist even when building
from a clean tree, please tell us so we can investigate.

> Is it fine for me to follow the "master" branch to get the "latest
> thought to be usable"?

ATM, most work is happening on stable-2.0, and master is only updated
sporadically.  Unless you want do work on Guile itself that's supposed
to go into 2.2 (only) eventually, I'd recommend using the stable-2.0
branch.  See also
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2011-03/msg00010.html>.

Regards, Rotty
--