Re: My Project: Guile Hypertext Preprocessor

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: My Project: Guile Hypertext Preprocessor
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 13:42:26 -0700 (PDT)

> From: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
>
> Guile is not its REPL. Look at '-s', '-e'. With that resolved,
> I wonder whether there are still useful HTML pages where the
> static template is large compared to the language fragment.
>PHP is a product of its time.

I agree with Dan that the large template with small amounts
of code is not the way that the web is going now.  It really
is about dynamically building webpages from the ground up.

One strategy would be to use run Guile scripts as CGI scripts,
or FastCGI or ModLisp.  There are Guile CGI, FastCGI and ModLisp
parsing routines in Guile-WWW, if I recall correctly.

(http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/guile-www)

For the actual web-page construction, you might consider
constructing the webpages as Scheme lists in SXML and then
dynamically converting them to HTML and CSS.  There is some SXML
support in Guile 1.9.x.

Consider this paper: http://sjamaan.ath.cx/docs/scheme/sxslt.pdf

-Mike