Re: removing #:renamer

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: removing #:renamer
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 22:45:02 +0100

Hi,

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> A while back, i added #:renamer to the `define-module' processing.
> Since then, `define-module' has gained #:prefix, which is nicer (IMHO),
> so now i'm thinking of removing #:renamer for Guile 1.9 (and thus 2.0).
> (Specifically: by 21-February.)
>
> This goes along with the general philosophy of "if anything should be
> removed, especially backward incompatibly, do it on a major release".

Hmm, the philosophy would also say “don’t remove anything that wasn’t
deprecated in the previous major series and that doesn’t *strictly* need
to be removed”.

IOW, I’m in favor of keeping #:renamer in 2.0.

(Actually I didn’t know about #:prefix.  It’s undocumented, but dates
back to 2003 AFAICS.  #:renamer is undocumented too, but at least
there’s one example in the manual.  ;-))

> Does anyone use #:renamer differently?

Not me.

Thanks,
Ludo’.