Re: Guile release planning

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: Guile release planning
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:10:28 -0500

  Any ideas for binary compatibility for the "micro" revisions?
  I recently discovered that a library compiled against 1.8.3
  would core dump when used with an application compiled
  against 1.8.5.  Operationally, not a big deal, really; I just
  recompiled the lib, but emotionally, it did give me that
  sinking feeling for a while, of maybe having  yet another
  hard-to-find bug, or a  system I cannot fully trust. :-(

The first question is if there was a shlib minor version bump.  But, if
it were the other way around it would be bad.  It is not expected in
general that you can use older libraries than what you built against.
But, building against 1.8.3 and then updating to 1.8.5 should be ok.