Re: SRFI-9 and `equal?'

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: SRFI-9 and `equal?'
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 09:23:31 +0200

Hi,

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> All looks fine to me, except one thing.  I don't think we gain anything by
> exporting the struct-equal?/scm_struct_equalp API, so I'd prefer to
> have this as an internal (scm_i_) function and not exported to
> Scheme.  (Cf. the fact that there isn't any list-equal? in Scheme.)

I'd rather think about it the other way round: there's no compelling
reason to hide it, and actually both R5RS and Guile already define a
number of type-specific equality predicates which allow users to
directly use them rather than `equal?' (with a potential performance
gain).

What was the reason to not have `list-equal?'?  Was it the fact that we
want it to be inlined within `equal?'?

Thanks,
Ludovic.