Re: idea: create module

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: idea: create module
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 08:42:06 +0100

Jon Wilson <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Thien and Neil,
> Those both sound like good solutions.  However, I was thinking of
> something within the language itself, rather than something outside,
> like emacs. This is partly because I don't use emacs, myself, and I am
> not particularly familiar with its capabilities versus vim.  Heck, I'm
> not sufficiently familiar with vim's capabilities, either, regardless
> that I use it every day.
>
> I still think that something within the language would be useful, but
> perhaps I'm the only one, and thus should write it myself. :-p  Thanks
> for the good ideas, though!
> Regards,
> Jon

Jon,

You may well be right.  Although my initial thought was to see it as
more natural to run guile within an editor (or some kind of IDE, more
generally), having the other way round available as well could be very
useful.  For example when one only has a terminal to work with.

I think a key question is what would you want to write out?  Would it
be a verbatim transcript of what was typed in, or would it be somehow
"improved" - e.g. by eliminating previous definitions of the same name
and/or trivial non-definitions?  Possibly even pretty-printed?

Regards,
        Neil