Re: emacs+guile

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: emacs+guile
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 09:56:18 -0800

William Xu wrote:
Ken Raeburn <address@hidden> writes:

Some of you may remember the guile-emacs project I started on years
ago.  I let it slide a bit when other things got in the way, but the
last year or so I've been putting some work into it again.

[...]

Great ! i'd really love to have a scheme-emacs.

You might find JEmacs (http://jemacs.sf.net) interesting.
It's different and more radical approach than Ken's.  It is also
a very unfinished, because nobody is spending much time on it.

JEmacs is part of the multi-languge Kawa environment
(http://www.gnu.org/sofwtare/kawa/).  Both Scheme and Emacs Lisp
(and other languages) can co-exist, and both can be compiled to
Java bytecodes.  JEmacs can use multiple GUI backends, currently
Swing and SWT.

Unfortuntely, neither I nor anyone else is spending much time on
JEmacs, so it's never gotten to the "actually usable" stage, and
there is probably some "bit-rotting".  However, I have started doing
some *very* interesting GUI programming with Kawa, which looks like
it will also benefit JEmacs.
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://per.bothner.com/