Re: Modified load-path proposal

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: Modified load-path proposal
Date: 15 Oct 2005 11:01:15 -0400

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> Greg Troxel <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I was trying to contort the tag mechanism into doing what you showed
> > how to do earlier.  Now I realize there's no need, so with the caveat
> > that I'd like the docs to explain how to do in-own-prefix installs as
> > you did in email, I can fully support your proposal.
>
> Thanks.  I thought of one more detail that I think I did miss,
> however: someone distributing Guile would not do a "make install",
> they'd do a "make dist" or "make deb" instead.  So there needs to be a
> way to customize the contents of config.scm before the "make
> dist/deb", without config.scm having been installed.

I meant that when a guile-using package does 'make install', it can
hook itself into the already-installed guile.  Guile can and certainly
should create config.scm in the build tree before install.  Then,
regardless of whether a binary package of some sort is tarred up from
there, or it's installed first and then tarred up (pkgsrc) won't matter.

--
        Greg Troxel <address@hidden>