Re: case syntax and symbols

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: case syntax and symbols
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 13:39:02 +0200

Hi,

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> Isn't the rule we want "whenever a new definition shadows an existing
> definition in a module, and the existing definition did not originate
> in the current module"?  This rule would also avoid giving unwanted
> warnings when an edited module is reloaded.

There is probably code that relies on redefinitions being silently
interpreted as a `set!', I'm afraid.  So I don't think Guile should
start issuing warnings for redefinitions by default.  Maybe this could
be an option modifiable via `eval-enable'?

For comparison, Bigloo's interpreter issues warnings for redefinitions,
while STkLos doesn't.

Thanks,
Ludovic.