Re: Using a macro with FOLD alters FOLD procedure!

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: Using a macro with FOLD alters FOLD procedure!
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:16:26 +1000

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> We could certainly do this, but I think I remember a thread where it was
> suggested that we treat any occurrence of a macro in non-car position as
> an error - which would catch the problem more generally.

I suppose it depends if a macro should be a first class object to be
thrown around (or do I misunderstand?).

I've been gradually converting srfi-1 procs to C, which has the side
effect of checking the procs are actual procedures.  I suppose there
must be plenty of ordinary application code passing procedures around
in exactly the same way that's vulnerable to memoizing macros.

(Could a memoized form check it's got the same macro as originally
expanded, as a safety check?  Or do I misunderstand again?)