copy-on-write (was Re: cron-walk.scm 2.1)

From: Stephen Compall
Subject: copy-on-write (was Re: cron-walk.scm 2.1)
Date: 04 Feb 2004 18:46:19 -0600

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> fork and exec is nice but fork and load is faster (especially if the
> parent preloads modules commonly used by the chidlren).

On a slightly related note, I was thinking about this, but more from
the memory-preservation angle, as Linux [the kernel] features
copy-on-write for regular fork.

Then, I realized that the memory wouldn't really be saved, not for
long anyway, because when GC runs, it marks bits on everything.

Is my perception correct?

--
Stephen Compall or s11 or sirian

QOTD:
        "It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his
        hands in his own pockets."

SSL government Reno bce Capricorn spies ICE digicash InfoSec ARPA
interception halcon Khaddafi monarchist Ruby Ridge