Re: shared-substrings missing in 1.7

From: tomas
Subject: Re: shared-substrings missing in 1.7
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:02:43 +0100

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 11:54:21AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

[...]

> While I am awed by the whole guardian and weak ref scheme, it might
> make sense to just have strings have a refcount (of other scheme

[...]

Ah, but refcount is just an instance of memory management (and almost
always an inferior strategy). Letting the garbage collector cope
with it is far more promising (and that's what all this guardian
stuff is for, as far as I understood).

> It would be cool to enable shortening up the storage if the really big
> string is gone, but some smaller ones remain.

[...]

This would be really cool, yes. Maybe even at the price of double
indirections?

Regards
-- tomas