Re: null terminated strings

From: Andreas Voegele
Subject: Re: null terminated strings
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:17:52 +0100

Roland Orre writes:

> On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 10:10, Andreas Voegele wrote:
>
>> "Remove calls to SCM_STRING_COERCE_0TERMINATION_X.  Since the
>> substring type is gone, all strings are 0-terminated anyway."
>
> Such a statement is very worrying. What happened to the promises
> that all substrings will be shared strings?

I'm new to Guile.  I don't know why shared strings were removed from
Guile, but things were probably simplified greatly by this decision.
I think that it is very useful to zero terminate all strings since
embedding and extending Guile becomes easier.

It seems that you'll have to stick to Thien-Thi Nguyen's Guile
version, available at http://www.glug.org/, if you need shared
strings.