Re: Guile is a great idea, but where's the community?

From: Pierre Bernatchez
Subject: Re: Guile is a great idea, but where's the community?
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:15:38 -0500

Neil Jerram wrote:

"Pierre" == Pierre Bernatchez <address@hidden> writes:
    Pierre> maturity as a project, where can I find evidence of a thriving,
    Pierre> or at least an emerging community of guile users and developers?

Hi Pierre,

Interesting question.  I don't have an easy answer, but to me it begs
the question of what you have in mind as evidence of the community
that you are looking for?
Hi Neil,

For something like this to stay alive, it needs a community of interest
around it. People who rely on the core project for other projects that depend on it, people who are interested in the core project itself,
people who are interesting in bringing innovation to the core project,
people who are interesting in extending the common base of functionality by working cooperatively to develop a suite of library modules, people who value the community as a potential market, develop training, books etc. I could go on and on (er... i already have sorry.. )

What I'm getting at, is that it takes a community to breathe life
into base technology project like this. When that happens,
it takes off and flies and everybody benefits.

Either you have a community, or you're on the way to having one,
or you're part of a sunset project.

So if there is an existing or emerging community of interest,
Where do they talk to each other?
Where is their traffic?
Is this list the right place to be talking to that community?
If not where is the right place?

This is not a criticism, I'm just trying to find out
the status quo.